Selected as group facilitator for the “Management Matters” class organized and offered by the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education at Stanford University. Management Matters is one of several VPGE workshops designed to help graduate students develop a range of skills needed in any professional environment. Offered in Winter 2016, Management Matters consists of three sessions focused on managing people: working with different communication styles; setting expectations; and giving and receiving feedback.
As a facilitator, I am responsible for a group of attendees during break-out sessions. These sessions include participatory activities involving challenging scenarios and developing strategies for effectively managing people at various levels of an organization.
Stanford Leaders in Communication helps learning techniques to show the real value of research findings and recruit others to your cause. In addition to becoming experts in various fields, leaders need to promote their work and influence others. Through practice at weekly meetings, we quickly learn to apply these techniques automatically even in high stakes situations. We also have the opportunity to role-play real scenarios to improve your negotiation and Q&A skills. The goal is to give club members the ability to promote research results in a meaningful and persuasive way so other scientists recognize the value of your research rather than overlook your work.
Our motto is: Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done, because he wants to do it (D. Eisenhower).
- Group facilitator for a workshop on job interviewing communication skills at AWIS (Fall 2014)
- Group facilitator for a communication and persuasion workshop at StartX (Fall 2014)
- Selected by the Associate Director of Curriculum Development of the Stanford School of Medicine Career Center as a group facilitator for the class INDE231A – Academic Interviews: Workshop and Clinic (Fall 2014)
- Selected by the Director of the Stanford Interdisciplinary Life Science Communications as a group facilitator for a scientific pitch training workshop for 3rd year Stanford grad students (Spring 2014)
- Admitted to participate to the workshop: How to Create a Compelling LinkedIn Profile
- Admitted to participate to the workshop: Persuasive Email Writing
- Group facilitator for the workshop: How to Craft a Compelling Research Statement Workshop
- Admitted to participate to the workshop: Personal branding